Last updated on September 21st, 2019
Today we have a delicious guest post from Jayashree T Rao over at EvergreenDishes
Pilaf or pulao is a one-pot dish that is popular in Asia. Variety of vegetables and basmati rice are cooked together with assorted spices makes a tasty meal. Various kind of pulao are prepared. Some of them are peas pulao, veg jalfraize, coconut milk pulao and jeera rice to name a few. Coconut milk pulao is a tasty and aromatic rice that makes a wonderful meal.
Coconut milk pilaf is one of the dishes that I prepare often at home. Rice dishes are so handy, they are easy to prepare and filling. Moreover, my children prefer these kinds of dishes. The subtle smell of coconut milk makes it divine. You can pair it with any yogurt based salad and some crispies. A curry may also be used.
Basmati is a kind of long grain rice with a nice fragrance. The rice is well cooked and ideal to make a variety of rice dishes. Any other kind of rice variety can also be used.
Let’s get cooking!
Coconut Milk Pilaf
This is vegan and gluten-free.
Equipment that you need :
sieve to strain the coconut milk
- · 1 cup basmati rice
- · 2 onion
- · 15 beans
- · 2 carrot
- · ½ cup peas
- · 1.5 cup coconut milk
- · ½ cup water
- · ¼ teaspoon cumin
- · 1 inch stick cinnamon
- · 2 cardamom
- · 3 cloves
- · 1 bay leaf
To be made into a paste:
- · 2 green chilly
- · 1 inch ginger
- · 4 cloves garlic
- · Oil and clarified butter (mixed together 2 tbsp.)
Let’s get cooking in five easy steps.
- Cutting of vegetables
- Soaking of rice
- Extracting of coconut milk
- Grinding of paste
- Cooking of pulao
1 Cutting of vegetables:
- Cut the veggies into small pieces and keep them separately. If the green peas are frozen, you need to thaw them.
2 Soaking of rice
- Wash the rice and soak it for 15 minutes.
3 Extracting of milk
- Here, you can use the readymade coconut milk that is available in the supermarkets or prepare it the following way.
- Take one cup of fresh coconut and put it in warm water for ten minutes. Grind it with water and pass through a sieve. Repeat the procedure again. This is the coconut milk extract.
4 Grinding of paste
- Grind green chilly, ginger and garlic to a paste. Keep it aside.
5 Cooking of pilaf
- · Take a pressure pan and put the mixture of margarine and oil to it.
- · Add cumin to it. As it splutters, throw in the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaf. Then add the onions. Sauté for a while.
- · Put beans and saute for a while. Then, add carrot and peas.
- · Add the paste to it and give a stir for two seconds.
- · Lastly, remove the rice from water and put into it.
- · Sauté for two minutes.
- · Now add coconut milk and water to it. Put salt and give a stir.
- · Finally, close the lid and cook it for one whistle.
- · Allow the pressure to release by itself.
- · Gently give a stir.
- · Serve with yoghurt based salad and french fries.
Rice cooker method
This pulao can also be prepared in a rice cooker. Take a saucepan and follow steps 1 to 6, then put it in rice cooker and add coconut milk to it. Put salt, give a stir, close the lid and switch on the power. Tasty pilaf is ready in half an hour.
Take a tip: · The quantity of water varies with the kind of rice you use. Adjust the quantity of coconut milk and water accordingly. · The rice grains should be separate for pulao. · You may add a few other veggies of your choice.
Jayashree T Rao
Jayashree is a food blogger from India. An enthusiastic person, she believes in living life to the fullest. She enjoys writing poetry. A passionate cook, she writes her food stories on www.evergreendishes.com Author of three e-books, South Indian Breakfast, 30 Tasty Dal Recipes, and Breadbasket. They are available on Amazon.
Make sure you follow her on social media and check out her website for more recipes.
Please let Jayashree know if you tried her recipes and what you think about them in the comments below. She will be stopping by to check out the comments and to answer any questions you may have.