If you have been involved in a car crash, it can be difficult to think clearly. However, it is important to make sure you act in the correct manner so that there is not any risk to anyone else on the road. Moreover, if you want to make a claim for compensation, it is even more important to follow the correct procedure. The last thing you want to do is put your chances of a payout in jeopardy.
- Make sure everyone is okay – There is only one place to begin, and this is by making sure that no one has been seriously hurt. If anyone needs medical attention, you will obviously need to address this first by calling an ambulance. If everyone is okay – albeit probably a bit shaken up – you can move on to the next steps.
- Call the police – In some cases, it will not be necessary to call the police. So, how do you determine whether you need to get in touch with them? Ask yourself some questions. Firstly, has there been any criminal activity involved? For example, if you were involved in a hit and run, you will definitely need to call the police. Secondly, has anyone been seriously hurt? If so, you should call the police. Thirdly, is the scene of the crash a risk to oncoming traffic? If you have been unable to move your car out of the way and there is a risk to oncoming traffic, you will need to call the police as soon as possible.
- Don’t say too much – Emotions are running high, and so it can be very easy to say something you shouldn’t. For example, you could say something like “my car has been playing up recently.” By saying this, you implicate yourself, even though you may not be to blame. The other driver could have been on their phone while at the wheel, or they could have been over the limit. However, by doubting your car’s safety, you have put the blame on yourself, which not only jeopardizes your chances of claiming but also could mean that a claim is made against you.
- Get witness contact information – Did anyone witness the car crash? If so, it is a wise idea to get their contact information. Witness statements can really help to boost your case.
- Take photographs – You should also take photographs of the scene, as this will serve as proof of what has happened.
- Hire a good injury lawyer – The final thing you need to do is make sure you hire a good injury lawyer. Choose a specialist car accident lawyer with experience in these types of claims. Moreover, take the time to read reviews that have been left by past clients so you can ensure they have a good reputation.
If you follow the steps that have been mentioned above, you can make sure that no one else gets hurt. You can also give yourself the best chance of getting the highest amount of compensation you are entitled to.