Please note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission when you make a purchase using these links. It does not affect your price but it helps support my work. Thank you! Please read the full Disclosure Statement
What popped into my mind when I read that today’s prompt was “coin” was the term to “coin a phrase” Exactly what does that mean. Oh. I know what we mean by saying “He coined the phrase” but why is it coined? Why do we say coined, I don’t see how money and a phrase are connected unless it is derived from the fact that often when someone coins a phrase they can possibly then copyright or trademark the phrase. This leads me to think why do we even call coins, coins and not disks or circles? Why do we place value in these coins? Why do we value gold above all else? You can’t really do anything with it except make decorations. You can’t eat gold or burn gold to keep yourself warm. Exactly why did someone way back in the day look at this metal that could not be used to make tools and say “Yes! this is the most valuable thing on earth”? Also diamonds, why are diamonds valuable? Personally, I think food or water is more valuable than gold or diamonds because without food or water you can’t live. You can live just fine without gold or diamonds. If you really think about it, we as a species place value on some of the craziest stuff. You will never see a squirrel gathering up coins for the winter.
So ends my very stream of consciousness Saturday post.
Join in on the Saturday Stream of Consciousness posts
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The’,” or simply a single word to get your started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!