Please note: This post may contain sponsored content or affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission when you visit these links. It does not affect your price but it helps support my work. Products shown in this post may have been provided for free in return for an honest review. Please read the full Disclosure Statement
All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and have not been influenced in any way.
You don’t know me but reading my blog gives you some insight into who I am right now. Who I was before remains a mystery at least for a little while. My lives are starting to collide with old friends discovering my blog and new friends discovering my life. On my blog I reveal bits and pieces at a time but it is focused on my life now, not what came before, so I will share a few things that came before so that you can learn a bit about me, the person, not just the blogger.
- In 2011, I lost my house to foreclosure and was featured on Tavis Smiley as part of the Poverty Tour. Watch the Episode.
- My community organizing work is featured in several books including Social Problems: A Service Learning Approach and A New and Unsettling Force: Reigniting Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Poor People’s Campaign
- Prior to my recent battle with anxiety and agoraphobia, I traveled all over the United States talking about the issues faced by families living in poverty, living in Appalachia, and living on minimum wage. I have met with Kennedys and Rockefellers as well as many political leaders.
- I am considered by many as an expert in the field of rural organizing around poverty issues. (I am currently working on a book on the subject)
- I got extremely burnt out mentally, physically, and spiritually in 2014 and had to walk away from the organizing work, so I started a blog.
Now you know a little about what came before. Yes, I miss it, the organizing work, but right now I am focussing on what makes me happy and that is writing.
Check out my About Me page to learn a little more.
Thank you for reading a story from BehindTheBlogger Hop. Every 2 weeks a group of bloggers is given a writing prompt. These prompts are very open ended, so our bloggers can write about whatever they desire. The main rule is that their blog post directly relates to the topic of that week. The point of this hop is for our readers to get to know us on a personal level.
Please hop along and read all of the blog posts in this weeks hop. Just click the links below. If you want real and raw emotion, then you will find it here. After you read each post, please comment and share. We want to get to know you too!