About Eclectic Evelyn
My name is Evelyn Dortch and this is my midlife crisis… I mean blog. I’m a hormonal mess going through a midlife crisis who was too busy raising 4 children, founding a statewide nonprofit, and trying to save the world to ever “find myself”. So now I am on a journey to find myself and I am asking you to tag along.
A little history
I am a cosmic possum, the first generation born outside of Appalachia to return to the mountains. My mother was born in West Virginia but left as a small child. My grandparents moved for work, like so many other Appalachian families that were part of the Great Migration out of the hollers and into the cities. At the age of 24 pregnant with 3 children already, I moved back to West Virginia and have been here ever since.
I’m a social worker, community organizer, and activist. I am also a writer, photographer, and artist. For years I have put my creative side on hold to fight the good fight for poor women and families in Appalachia. After nearly 20 years of fighting, I found myself angry not only at the system but at the people for allowing it to happen. I no longer found joy and purpose in the fight only despair and anger. So in this second part of my life I am trying to find my joy, my purpose, and my creativity. That is where this blog comes in.
Eclectic Evelyn is a blog about finding creativity, experiencing life again, and trying to figure out exactly what it means to be middle-aged. It’s about making a drastic change in my life and for once putting myself first, something we women rarely do. It’s about waking up one morning and realizing, the kids are grown, life has changed and now what.
10 things about me
- In my house, I currently have 2 dogs (Vinny and Chiquita) and 3 cats (Waffles, Little Edie and their daughter Belgian).
- I hate to fly. I have flown in the past but after that incident in Cleveland, I will never fly again so don’t even ask. Not even to Hawaii or Jamaica, but I might take a boat. Jamaica is where Stella Got Her Groove Back.
- My favorite color is Azure blue.
- I love New York City at Christmas time but not so much in the summer. As a friend once said “New York smells too loud in the summer.”
- My favorite flowers are the tiny violets that grow all over Appalachia and irises. I also love redbud trees and magnolia trees when they are in bloom.
- I have four children – 3 daughters and 1 son.
- I enjoy long books on the beach, eating pizza in bed, and not having a man to clean up after.
- I love a good muscle car show except for the fact that all the cars I wanted as a teenager are now considered antique.
- I hate shopping at Walmart but I love their fried chicken in the deli. Guilty pleasure.
- I love cannoli and will travel hundreds of miles for a good one.
Want to know more? Leave me a good question in the comments.